Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Baltimore... Continued!

Somehow I managed to post zero, zip, nada, nothing last month... and I'm late in posting this month, after promising myself that I would regularly post something new by the first of each month. Darn, but time flies! I was going to post the remaining 6 blocks of my Baltimore, after posting the first ten. Somehow I managed to take pictures of only 5 of the 6 blocks, so you're going to have to do a little searching... the 16th block is buried within the picture of the overall quilt, as it now stands (which means it's still not finished!). So let's get started on the block update.

Before you look, I'd like to mention something. A friend sent me a link to another person's blog - she copied one of my block pictures from last month and posted it on her blog with no reference to me or my designs. That's a no-no, folks! These are my original, copyrighted designs. I will likely say yes to anyone who ASKS if they can post a copy of the photos shown my blog - as long as there is a link back here to my blog, and as long as they are not using them to make money. That seems like a pretty fair deal to me.

So here are the new blocks...






And last, but certainly not least, here is the latest picture of where these blocks are going. I have sewn all of the inner sashings - and laid them on the floor to see how they look, along with two partial borders.


It's coming along nicely, though I still have a long way to go to get this quilt finished. First, I need to finish appliqueing all of the borders and all of the corner blocks -- the corner blocks will be uninterrupted continuations of the side borders, with a unique vase in each corner. Then there is a LOT of embroidery and embellishment that needs to happen on each border. And finally, there is a final border of 1" half-square triangles on the outside edge of the assembled quilt. Be still my heart - I am really enjoying how this quilt looks!

So until next month... hopefully by the first of the month... you'll see a completed top. Or at least a top with 3 of the 4 borders done! Until then...


Happy sewing!
Sue

(c)2010 Susan H. Garman, All Rights Reserved

16 comments:

  1. Spectacular!!!! It takes my breathe away. It's a show stopper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the quilt is just amazing, I am so looking forward to the top being done, I am sure you are as well!
    I can't wait for the pattern to come, any idea when?
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Kathie's query... the plan right now is for the patterns to be available as a block of the month in October 2010. Initially they will be offered by Quakertown Quilts - with the opportunity for other shops to begin offering it in January. I need to sew more quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to the question of an applique tutorial... I currently do not have anything posted online that shows how I do my applique. I do needle turn (exclusively) and find it to be the most adaptable/flexible for any size/shape/type of applique. In addition, my patterns have pretty thorough instructions/tips for unique applique units (e.g., off-unit pieces, circles, dimensional, etc.). My advice to folks is to 1) take as many applique classes as you can - you will learn something new from each teacher, even if you are already experienced, and 2) the best teacher of all IS experience - the more you applique, the better you get!
    Happy sewing -
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sue, these take my breath away! I am a huge fan of Baltimore Album quilts, but yours may well be the most beautiful I've ever seen! Wow!!!!!!! It's truly spectacular! Thank you for sharing! Best wishes, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know if I see a pattern with your name on it, I'm going to love it. I've been busy working on your 'Ladies of the Sea' quilt (working on ship #10) and I have the 'Night Before Christmas' waiting in the wings. Your work is beautiful, I just don't know how you get them done so quickly. Oh, I forgot that I'm also saving off 'Star Crazy' and 'Hugs& Kisses' from The Quilt Show.

    I'm going to have to add this new one to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning!! I'm new to your blog, but will now HAVE to see this finished. I'm taking applique classes and doing lots of applique, but I can't really even imagine doing something this beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is a work of art! So gorgeous. Love, love, love your fabric selections. --Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely amazing; you have really outdone yourself. I agree with Robin, most beautiful Baltimore album I've seen! Can't wait to see it finished! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gee, Sue. I hope that's not the BOM for TQS for next year! lol
    I can only say, WOW!! your Baltimore blocks are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In a word...wow! Your quilt and each block is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work is stunning!
    And I am glad you posted about the 'no no'! A friend sent me a copy of the front page of a newspaper that had a picture of one of my original patterns...the lady had won best of show...and their was no reference to who designed the quilt. I was overjoyed she won, but I do get frustrated when people take credit where credit isn't due.
    Are your patterns available for retail?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe how stunning your work is. I do hope you'll have these patterns available for sale. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.
    Eileen T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Its absolutely fabulous! I love your work, and this quilt is outstanding! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait for the BOM to come out! I have Ladies of the Sea waiting in the wings (a Dear Jane and a Circuit Rider to finish first, LOL!), but this one will make the list, to be sure. Lovely, lovely work! Needleturn IS the only way, isn't it!? :-D I put a picture on my blog of Ladies, but included your name as designer. Hope that's OK (see "Applique Therapy" at http://cheaperthantherapyquilting.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html). Blessings!
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful designs, beautiful applique and gorgeous border. Can't wait for the finished quilt. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete